Netflix is one of the most popular streaming platforms where you can stream a variety of interesting movies, shows, and documentaries. You can use Netflix on Android, iOS, tablets, and Windows PC. However, Netflix currently does not have an app for Mac computers, so technically, the only way to watch Netflix on Mac is through the website.
This isn’t great because it means you miss interesting app features like downloading movies and watching them offline. But don’t worry, this article will walk you through some methods to help you use Netflix on your Mac. Let’s dive in!
How to Watch Netflix on Mac
1. Install Windows OS on your macOS
One of the most intelligent methods to watch Netflix on Mac is to install Windows 10 on your macOS, then download and install the Netflix windows app on it.
Yes, it is possible to install Windows on Mac OS, but many people don’t know about this. You can do this using the Boot Camp Assistant App and can easily switch from macOS to Windows anytime you watch Netflix on Mac and then back once you’re done.
To use the Boot Camp Assistant App on your Mac, it must have an Intel processor. Basically, your computer has to fall under the following category:
- A Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, Macbook Mini, or an iMac introduced in 2012 or later
- A Macbook introduced in 2015 or later
- A Mac Pro introduced in 2013 or later
- An iMac Pro (all models)
Also, note that your Mac must also have at least 64GB of free storage space. If you are using any of the devices mentioned above, then you can follow this step-by-step. guide to install Windows 10 on your Mac.
2. Stream from your iPhone or iPad via AirPlay
AirPlay is an Apple proprietary protocol that allows the wireless streaming of multimedia content between two apple devices. With Airplay, you can mirror your iPhone and iPad screen directly on the display of your Apple computer; this includes the Netflix app. You need two things for this to work:
A compatible iOS device that supports AirPlay
- Macbook Pro 2018 or later
- Macbook Air 2018 or Later
- iMac 2019 or later
- iMac Pro 2017
- Mac Mini 2020 or later
- Mac Pro 2019
If you have any of these, follow the steps below to connect to AirPlay and Watch Netflix on your Mac:
- Connect your iOS device and Mac to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your iOS device, open the Netflix app and select the show or movie you want to watch.
- Now swipe up from the bottom of your device to open the control center.
- Tap the Screen Mirroring icon, and then select your Mac from the list of available devices.
- Once connected, you will see your Netflix video playing on your Mac display.
3. Run Netflix on Mac using PlayCover (M1/M2 Macs only)
PlayCover is an open-source app that lets you run iOS games on your macOS. It also allows you to run any app or software, including the Netflix iOS App for Mac users with M1/M2 chips. It supports a mouse, keyboard, and controller, and even allows you to map custom keyboard touch controls.
How to Use Play cover to watch Netflix on Mac
- Download and install PlayCover then move it to your application folder
- Go to your application folder and double-click on the app to open it.
- If you’ve never installed the Xcode command line tool on your computer, you’ll be asked to do so
- Complete the installation by authenticating with your touch ID or password
- Drag and drop the decrypted Netflix IPA file into PlayCover, and add it to your PlayCover library. Then open the Netflix app and start streaming on your Mac.
Can I connect my iPhone or iPad to my Mac and watch Netflix using QuickTime Player?
Previously, it was possible to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to your Mac and watch Netflix using QuickTime Player. This method worked on iOS 13 and higher versions, and it involved linking your iOS device to your Mac via a cable, then watching Netflix from your iOS device screen on Mac using QuickTime Player.
However, this method does not work for video streams anymore, and can only work for listening to Netflix audio offline. So if you want to watch Netflix on Mac, you’ll have to use any of the methods listed above.
With Netflix apps, you can enjoy interesting features such as downloading and watching movies offline, creating multiple accounts, parental control, and linking your account to voice commands.
You can follow the steps outlined in this guide to watch Netflix on your Mac, whether you’re using a MacBook Air, Pro, or Mini; an iMac; or even an M1/M2-based device.