Are you looking for how to turn off Siri reading texts on your phone but are confused about the options? Or are you interested in learning how to control Siri alerts on your device? Then, fret not.
Siri is a helpful software for iPhone users to aid in their daily tasks. Whether you want to set up a reminder or play a song, Siri will immediately follow every command. The best part? It has voice recognition, meaning Siri recognizes your voice and is always ready to help.
Want to learn more about Siri and how to turn it off? Then keep on reading.
How to turn off Siri reading texts
Siri is a native to Apple software that works by following your voice commands. So anyone with an iPhone and stable internet can befit from its features. However, Android users can also use Siri through android settings are a bit different.
One of the prominent features that Siri has is reading and replying to texts and calls. This handy feature helps users stay updated at work or while driving. Luckily, turning off Siri is accessible and has a lot of customization options.
Follow the techniques mentioned below to learn how to stop siri from reading messages for different applications.
1. Control Center
The easiest way to turn off Siri notifications is through the control center. Unfortunately, this option can only be availed if you have Airpods. Siri notifications support all the available AirPods models and a few third-party earphones.
To turn off Siri reading texts when connected to wireless buds, follow these steps:
- Open the control center by sliding down from the top of the screen
- On older iPhone models, swipe up from the bottom to open the control center
- The bell icon on the bottom of the screen will show the Siri status. If the icon’s background is white, it means Siri is enabled, and a gray backdrop means Siri is turned off
- If you want to switch off Siri, long press the ‘Announce notifications’ icon and select ‘mute for the day
- You can also tap the ‘Mute for 1-hour’ button to temporarily disable announcing notifications
You can quickly turn it off if you don’t want Siri in your apps. The easiest way to silence Siri’s notifications is through the settings app. There are different ways to turn off Siri on your phone and Mac. To disable Siri on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the settings app on your iPhone and, scroll down to Siri & Search
- There are a bunch of options for the ‘Ask Siri’ settings. Toggle the ‘listen for hey Siri’ button to the left to turn it off
- Then press the ‘Press side button for Siri’ tab to turn that off
- Lastly, click the ‘turnoff Siri’ option from the pop-up message to disable Siri on your phone
Remember, this method will stop Siri from working on your phone; if you don’t want to disable Siri fully but turn off the notifications for specific alerts, head to the next section.
3. For Car play
Siri was designed primarily to help users while they are driving to avoid risks of accidents. But, if you are wondering how to turn off Siri alerts and playback on your car, here are a few easy ways.
- Open the settings app on your phone
- Tap the General tab, then tap ‘carplay’
- Select the vehicle you are currently connected to and remove or disable it
Bonus Tip: Once you remove a car from your CarPlay list, it doesn’t mean your phone won’t be able to connect to it anymore. Once you plug in your phone, you can connect to the vehicle after approval.
4. Different applications
Turning off Siri alerts for messages, calls and notifications require different settings. Apple allows users to disable Siri for some applications while others remain active. Therefore, the message and call alerts can be separately turned on and off for Siri.
Here are the ways to disable Siri for the three applications.
- For messages
To turn off Siri reading texts, follow these steps:
- Open the settings app and scroll down to notifications
- Go to the Announce Messages with Siri bar and turn it off
- Siri will no longer read any texts
- For Calls
To disable Siri notifications for calls, follow these steps:
- Open the settings app, scroll down to the notifications tab
- Click on the ‘announce notifications’ tab in the Siri section and select ‘phone from the list
- Turn off ‘announce notifications‘ by toggling the button to the left
- For notifications
Siri suggestions are an integral part of the AI assistant. To turn off the suggestions and other Siri notifications on your phone, follow these steps:
- Open the settings app and go to the Siri & search tab
- Scroll down to the suggestions tab and turn off Siri for selected services
- You can pick and choose the features for which Siri will no longer work, like app library, spotlight, etc
5. On a Mac
If you own a MacBook, Siri will quickly become your favorite assistant. Undoubtedly, its features help users complete their tasks much more rapidly. But at times, Siri notifications and alerts become redundant.
Therefore, turning Siri off becomes essential sometimes. Luckily, disabling it on Macs is a reasonably straightforward process. To do that, follow the steps given below:
- Go to the Apple menu on the top left side of the screen and click on ‘System Preferences’.
- Click on the Siri logo, then untick the ‘Enable ask Siri‘ option to turn it off
- You can also remove Siri history by clicking the ‘Delete Siri & dictation history‘ button
- Lastly, to remove Siri from the menu bar, untick the ‘show Siri in menu bar button’
Siri is one of the top Ai assistants currently available. It aids users in almost all tasks, like setting up alarms, doing searches, and replying to texts. But, Siri Suggestions and alerts can sometimes irritate users. So, turning it off becomes necessary. You can use the abovementioned techniques to wholly or temporarily disable Siri on your phone.
Until next time!