The invention of ebooks has been a turning point for avid readers and book lovers since they don’t have to carry around stacks of books everywhere they go. There are hundreds of book websites out there that serve this audience and one of them that truly stands out is the Amazon Kindle.
Amazon Kindle enables you to purchase, download and borrow tons of new or used books in all kinds of genres from your mac. It gives you book suggestions based on previous purchases and on features such as genre, age range, and language.
The app is programmed to sort a reader’s library through recently opened books to enable them to locate, open, and read books from where they stopped. This is an outstanding website if you want to get quality books in crime, adventure, romance, and even fiction texts. In the next section, we will guide you through how to download and install Kindle app on Mac.
How to Download and Install Kindle App on Mac
There is more than one way to download and install the Kindle app on your Mac computer. You can download from the Amazon Kindle free website or from the Apple app store.
How to Download Kindle from the Amazon Kindle Website
- Go to the Amazon Kindle free website via your browser.
- Click on download now and allow to download.
- Once the download is complete search for the kindle app icon, pin it to your dock or create an application folder and drag the kindle app icon to the folder you created.
To open the app, double-click on the kindle app icon on your desktop or open it from the application folder you created.
How to Download Kindle Through the Apple App Store
- Click on the Apple icon. Select App store from the drop-down menu.
- In the App store, search for Kindle.
- The official Kindle app will come up. Click Get > Install.
- When the download is complete, click on Open on the Kindle app in the apple app store, or open it via your mac application folder.
- If you are opening the kindle app on your mac for the first time, a one-time dialog box will appear. Sign in with your Amazon credentials.
- After purchasing a book, you can click on the book to start reading or you can right-click on the book and click on download to download the book and read it later.
How to Use Kindle Without an App
In a situation where you are not able to download or install the kindle app, you can use the kindle cloud reader. Kindle cloud reader is a web app that allows you to read books online and on any device aside from your Mac.
How to Use the Kindle Cloud Reader
- Set up an Amazon account if you don’t already have one.
- Go to read amazon webpage
- Sign in with your Amazon details.
Once you are logged in, you will see a list of books you have purchased or downloaded on the home page, the books appear in grid form. You can change this view by clicking on the hamburger icon on the left corner of the page.
When you click on a book you have been reading or a book you have opened before, it takes you to the last page you were reading in the book. If it is a new book it takes you to the first page.
Can I Read Books Offline Using the Kindle Cloud Reader?
Even though this is an online reading app Amazon has included an offline feature known as the download tab. You can do this using the following steps.
- Click on download
- From the pop-up box click on enable offline.
- Right-click on the book you want to download and click on “download and pin book” and allow it to download
- Once the download is done, you can find the book in the download tab.
Deleting books on kindle cloud reader affects other kindle apps you have, so before you delete any book be sure you don’t want to use it anymore.
How to Make Kindle Read Aloud on Mac
- Open the kindle app on your mac.
- Sign in with your Amazon account.
- Select the book you want to read by clicking on it.
- Select the text that you want your mac to read out for you.
- Press the Esc key on your keyboard and your mac will begin to read the text in the voice you choose from system preference.
Can I Read Kindle Books on Safari?
Yes!!! You can read Kindle books on safari without downloading any app. The steps to do this are the same as that of using the kindle cloud reader. All you need is an amazon account to sign in with, and you can read all the way!
To download kindle is easy and fast, and you can access the app immediately after installing it on your mac. The app comes with amazing features like bookmarks, notepads, color, and others, that allow you to adjust your reading page to your taste.
Downloading books on kindle does not have a significant effect on your mac’s system usage as the average size of a kindle book is around 1MB, though there are still some exceptions. Have these tips helped you download Kindle on your Mac? Let us know in the comments section.