Did you install a VPN on your Mac but find it difficult to disable it? Then read this article till the end. This guide will show you exactly how to disable VPN on mac without unnecessary hurdles.
How does a VPN run on macOS?
You can either download and install a VPN from the Mac store or set up a VPN service manually. However you want to go about it, the outcome will be the same.
The configuration of any VPN you download is always saved to your hard drive. You may decide to export, import, or restore them from a backup file depending on your needs. The configuration settings will contain information like the account name, server address, protocol type, and verification details.
Most VPN service providers log users’ details and this can be sold to third parties or used to monitor your online activities. That is why we recommend you research a VPN service before subscribing to it.
Also, endeavor not to rely much on free VPN providers. You run a high risk of cyber-crimes and data theft when you connect to them. macOS is so sensitive to external applications that it will alert you in the form of a dialog box when a VPN tries to set up configuration on your device.
How to find a VPN configuration on macOS?
To find a VPN configuration,
- Go to System preferences > Network.
In the left panel of the window, you will see network settings and VPN profiles identified with the padlock icon.
- Click on any VPN configuration and its properties will display to the right.
How to disable VPN on Mac
There are different methods to disable VPN on Mac. You don’t need to be Einstein to follow these steps. They are all self-explanatory.
Method 1: Disable VPN on Mac using the desktop app:
The easiest way to disable your VPN on Mac is to simply turn it off on the VPN app.
- Find the VPN icon on your Dock (tools bar)
- Click on the power button to disconnect.
Note: Depending on the VPN app you are using you might find a switch-off or other words like disconnect, or turn-off, they all mean the same thing.
How to disable VPN on Mac via network window:
- Click on the Apple icon at the top left corner of your desktop
- Select System preference from the drop-down menu
- Select Network
- Select your VPN from the network option.
- Click on the Connect button if the VPN is active. It will disconnect.
How to find a VPN on your Mac
If you can’t find the VPN icon on your menu bar or dock it means you didn’t pin it to your dock and you will have to look for it in your system folder. To find the VPN
- Click on the Finder icon on your dock.
- Select the Application folder. Unless you changed the location of the VPN after downloading it, then you should find it in the application folder.
- Control + click on the VPN app. Then select Open.
- Once the app is open, control + click on the app icon on your dock and click on the Options.
- Under the options, select keep in dock
The app will be pinned to your dock and you can easily turn it on or off from there.
Note: Disabling a VPN is not the same thing as deleting it. When you disable a VPN, you still maintain the configuration settings and can enable it at any time. But when you delete a VPN, it doesn’t exist on your device anymore and you have to download and install it again when you need it.
Now that you know how to disable VPN on mac using different methods, You can do it anytime you face problems with your VPN. If this article helped you, drop a comment for us to know if we met your need.