A free VPN is not the best choice for online protection while surfing the internet with your Mac as it has a number of loopholes and is prone to breakdown in the face of a cyber attack. However, some users just want an immediate solution without having to subscribe to any standard VPN client.
Most of these free VPNs are also likely to log your data and sell it to third parties, therefore putting you at risk. The risks associated with free VPNs for Mac are why we recommend that you subscribe to a premium VPN service if you want standard protection while browsing. There’s also a high chance of your device being infected with malware when using a free VPN.
But, if you just want to quickly unblock a restricted website, hide your IP address, or safeguard your data then we have carefully sorted out the best free VPNs for Mac in 2023. Some reliable VPNs like NordVPN, PIA and ExpressVPN offer a 30-day free trial with a Money-back guarantee. So, you can opt for these ones instead for quality offers.
Why did we choose these VPNs?
- Security – Not all free VPNs will secure your data or save you from cyber-attacks and trackers. That is why we choose the best free VPN with zero activity log and powerful encryption to keep you safe from data theft.
- Unlimited bandwidth – ISPs tend to throttle your internet connection when you consume so much data, especially during gaming and streaming. We picked the VPNs that will allow you an ample amount of bandwidth.
- Mac app – VPNs that consider the welfare of Mac users are the ones we added to the list. Though these free VPNs work on M1 and M2 Mac using Rosetta, only premium VPNs offer actual dedicated Mac apps for all types of Mac versions.
- Speed – Though free VPNs may not run at extreme speed like paid VPNs, the ones listed here have a good enough level of speed for streaming and gaming.
- Customer support – You want to know that there is someone you can speak to if you have difficulty connecting to your VPN or you are stuck and you need clarification. Though this is the luxury of paid VPNs, we found some free VPNs that still consider consumers’ complaints.
- Extra features – It will interest you to know that some of these free VPNs offer additional features like split tunneling, automatic kill switch, and much more. We selected the ones with these qualities.
- Safari support – Safari is the native browser for Mac so we picked out the free VPNs that adapt smoothly to this browser.
Best free VPNs for Mac
Though ProtonVPN has a paid version, it also has a free version. It is one of the best free VPNs for Macs. It offers unlimited bandwidth for users at no cost at all. ProtonVPN has a split tunneling feature that allows you to use some apps with the VPN and restrict others. It even has a native app for M1/M2 Mac app.
Don’t expect a high number of servers when using the free version of Proton. It has three servers in Japan, the US, and Holland. But you’d certainly enjoy a browsing session devoid of throttling. One major issue you may face with this VPN is its speed level. It is not as fast as you would wish it to be. However, if you don’t mind all its shortcomings, this is the best free VPN for Mac.
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Native app
- Split tunneling
- Zero activity log
2. Hide.me VPN
This is one VPN that has almost all the features of its paid version. It does not log users’ data nor do they interrupt your good time online with numerous ads.
This VPN awards its users with 10GB of data every month with the luxury of 10 simultaneous device connections. Anytime you have an issue, you can leverage their 24/7 customer support.
You enjoy ad blocking and a free-flow browsing speed when using the free version of Hide.me VPN. It has a native app for Apple Silicon M1/M2 Macs.
- 10GB data monthly
- No ads
- 10 simultaneous device connection
- Customer support
This is another top secure free VPN for your Mac. It has its headquarters in Switzerland which promotes citizens’ privacy at all costs.
You get to use free 10GB data monthly and enjoy access to about 12 servers in different locations. This is a feature you don’t enjoy with other free VPNs.
Don’t worry about data theft, as this VPN does not collect your information or track your web activity. You are safe while using PrivadoVPN.
- Strict no-log activity
- 10GB data monthly
Though this VPN’s speed for the free version is not encouraging, it is also great for your Mac. It offers 10GB monthly data if you provide your email address and 2GB without an email.
Windscribe offers 11 free locations including the US. It gives you the liberty to connect to any server of your choice. Though its paid version has far more servers and is well-secured.
You can use Windscribe either from a Mac desktop or from the Chrome extension which offers an ad blocker and a malware blocker for added security. If you are looking for a free VPN that helps you stop those invasive ads from ruining your time online, you can count on windscribe VPN.
- 10GB monthly
- Available for Mac desktop and Chrome extension.
- 11 server locations including the US
Apart from the speed this VPN offers especially for Mac due built-in Hydra VPN protocol, it really has a lot of drawbacks. For example, you cannot use more than 500mb daily or 15GB monthly.
Its free version supports a transfer rate of only 2MB/s. It doesn’t have a native Mac app. If all these don’t bother you then you can use this VPN.
Another amazing thing with this VPN is that you will get to enjoy the same data encryption as the paid version. The free version sports the same Military-grade encryption to fully secure users’ information online.
- Speedy connection
- 256-bit Military Encryption
- 5 simultaneous connection per account
6. Atlas VPN
Atlas VPN is one good free VPN in the market that offers unlimited data usage every month to users. You also get access to three global servers. The disadvantage of using the free Atlas VPN is that you get hit with multiple ads and the transfer rate is not great. You can subscribe to the paid version if you want a better experience.
Atlas VPN ensures you are safe and secure by not taking your information or keeping tabs on the websites you visit. It is a great choice if you need to surf the internet uninterrupted.
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Strict no log policy
- Limitless simultaneous connection
This is a free VPN with a very simple interface. It is not hard to set up. It is well-secured as it uses 256-bit encryption and stops ads from interrupting your browsing. TunnelBear offers a generous 20 servers in different locations across the globe. This is far more than any free VPN out there. Although this VPN doesn’t have a native Mac app, it can work via Rosetta.
The VPN takes your privacy seriously as it doesn’t log your data. The only drawback with using this VPN is that you only get to use 500MB per month.
- No log policy
- Easy to setup and use
- Servers in 20 countries
Does Google have a VPN for Mac?
Yes. Google has a VPN for Mac but it cannot be used to unblock geo-restricted sites. It is also not free and costs about $9.99. Considering the reasons why people use VPNs, this VPN is not only pointless but also overpriced for its features.
The seven free VPNs for Mac listed above are the best in the market. However, they don’t compare to paid VPNs as you may still be exposed to malware and cyber-attacks. It’s best you sacrifice a little sum of money to subscribe to a premium VPN.